Artificial Intelligence and Racial and Ethnic Inequalities The Artificial Intelligence and Racial and Ethnic Inequalities in Health and Care call supports research to advance AI and data-driven technologies in health in ways that better meet the needs of minority ethnic populations. The call is jointly funded by NHSX’s NHS AI Lab and the Health Foundation and enabled by the NIHR.
This £1.55 million call will fund research to:
- Better understand and enable opportunities to use AI to ensure innovation happens in response to the health needs of minority ethnic groups.
- Contribute to improving the quality, availability and appropriate use of datasets to account for ethnic diversity in the development of AI models.
- Improve the development, testing and deployment of AI models across patient populations to reduce bias and improve the performance and accuracy of emerging and existing tools for different subpopulations.
- The deadline for applications is 13:00 on Wednesday 28 April 2021.
The call is jointly funded by NHS AI Lab and the Health Foundation and enabled by the NIHR. This call is a part of the NHS AI Lab’s AI Ethics Initiative, which will invest in research and trial practical interventions to ensure that AI products used in the NHS and care settings do not exacerbate health inequalities.
What do we fund?
The call will fund two categories of research:
- Understanding and enabling the opportunities to use AI to address inequalities
- Funded by The Health Foundation
- Awards of £175,000 to £275,000
- Optimising datasets, and improving AI development, testing and deployment
- Funded by the NHS AI Lab
- Awards of £200,000 to £500,000
Both categories will fund projects of 12 to 24 months' duration.
The projects will be selected primarily on their potential value to the health service and social care system and on the improved outcomes delivered for those in receipt of care.
How do I apply?
This one stage funding call is open to UK-based higher education institutions, third sector organisations, charities, and NHS organisations or providers of NHS or social care services.The deadline for applications is 13:00 on Wednesday 28 April 2021.
For further information please email email@example.com.