Hugh Alderwick Head of Policy
Hugh is Head of Policy at the Health Foundation.
Hugh joined the Health Foundation in 2018. He leads the Foundation’s policy team, which works to analyse, understand, and inform national policies on health and social care in England.
Before he joined the Health Foundation, Hugh was a Harkness Fellow in Health Care Policy and Practice at the University of California, San Francisco, and Berkeley. Hugh’s research in the US focused on health system approaches to addressing patients’ social and economic needs, like unstable housing and food insecurity.
Before that, Hugh worked at The King’s Fund as Senior Policy Adviser to the Chief Executive, where he published research and policy analysis on a range of topics, including national NHS reforms, integration of health and social care services, and opportunities for health systems to improve population health. He also provided policy advice to the NHS and government.
Hugh has also worked as a management consultant at PwC, working on health policy and improvement, and on Sir John Oldham’s Independent Commission on Whole Person Care.
- Alderwick H. NHS reorganisation after the pandemic. BMJ 2020;371:m4468
- Alderwick H, Dunn P, Dixon J. England’s health policy response to COVID-19. BMJ 2020;369:m1937.
- Briggs ADM, Göpfert A, Thorlby R, Allwood D, Alderwick H. Integrated health and care systems in England: can they help prevent disease? Integrated Healthcare Journal. 2020;2:e000013.
- De Marchis EH, Alderwick H, LM Gottlieb. Do patients want help addressing social risks? Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2020;33(2):170-175.
- Alderwick H, Gardner T, Thorlby R, Dixon J. Proposed changes to NHS legislation. BMJ. 2019;365:l1670
- Alderwick H, Dixon J. The NHS long term plan. BMJ. 2019;364:l84.
- Gottlieb LM, Alderwick H. Integrating social and medical care: could it worsen health and increase inequity? Annals of Family Medicine. 2019;17(1):77-81.
- Alderwick H, Hood-Ronnick CM, Gottlieb LM. Medicaid investments to address social needs in Oregon and California. Health Affairs. 2019;38(5):774-781.
- Alderwick H, Gottlieb LM. Meanings and misunderstandings: a social determinants of health lexicon for US health care systems. Milbank Quarterly. 2019;97(2):407-419.
- Gottlieb LM, Fichtenberg C, Alderwick H, Adler N. Social determinants of health: what’s a healthcare system to do? Journal of Healthcare Management. 2019;64(4):243-257
- Alderwick H, Gottlieb LM, Fichtenberg CM, Adler NE. Social prescribing in the U.S. and England: emerging interventions to address patients' social needs. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2018;54(5):715-718.
- Alderwick H, Shortell SM, Biggs ADM, Fisher ES. Can accountable care organisations really improve the English NHS? Lessons from the United States. BMJ. 2018;360:k921.
- Alderwick H, Ham C. Sustainability and transformation plans for the NHS in England: what do they say and what happens next? BMJ. 2017;356:j1541.
- Alderwick H, Raleigh V. Yet more performance rating for the NHS. BMJ. 2017;358:j3836.
- Alderwick H, Dunn P, McKenna H, Walsh N, Ham C. Sustainability and transformation plans in the NHS: how are they being developed in practice? London: The King’s Fund; 2016.
- Ham C, Baird B, Gregory S, Jabbal J, Alderwick H. The NHS under the coalition government. Part one: NHS reform. London: The King’s Fund; 2015.
A full list of Hugh’s publications can be found on Google Scholar.